Welcome to the Department of Physics, St. Joseph’s College Moolamattom!!
We are a group of students and faculty who are committed to the exciting world of Physics!
Department offers a Bachelor of Science programme in Physics with vocational Electronics (model II). The programme offers additional benefit in the form of extra courses/papers (8 theory papers and 3 practical) in electronics in addition to all of the usual papers in B. Sc. Physics (model I); which enhances the employability prospects of students.
Our young and dynamic faculty members are all Ph. D. holders with considerable amount of postdoctoral research experience in India and abroad. We have a wide range of expertise in the following fields of research;
- Radiation physics and radiation biophysics, i e. the effect of the interaction of radiations of different kind with biosystems
- Microwave and millimetre wave electronics, Filters, Antenna etc.
- Photonic crystals, POC – Biosensors, Graphene, Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy
- Construction of vacuum systems for atomic layer deposition and Chemical vapor deposition
- Raman Spectroscopy of Carbon nanomaterials, X-ray Photoelectron spectroscopy
- Ultrafast lasers (femtosecond) and their utilization in controlling magnetism for data recording
Our faculty members are having exposures to various research environments both National and International (UK, Germany etc.). We also have research collaboration with national level institutions such as Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT), Microtron Centre, Mangalore University, Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore and we have also collaboration with a couple of international research groups in Europe.
Some of our faculty members have acted as members of various administrative bodies of Mahatma Gandhi University and other institutions, such as Board of Studies for UG and PG Electronics, MG University Question Bank Setter for 2017 syllabus and BOE member of St. Aloysius College (Autonomous), Mangalore.
Roll of Honour – Department of Physics
|Sl. No.||Name of the student||Year||University rank|
|1||Aparna R Krishnan||2019||I|
|2||Akhila V. Appukuttan||2018||II|
|4||Aardhra Merin Kurian||2016||III|
|7||Helena Mary Thomas||2014||II|
|13||Ajil K. S.||2001||II|